- “Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as children of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the world” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, no 1213)
The Rite of Baptism for Children emphasizes the importance of faithfulness on the part of parents when it says to parents: In asking to have your children baptized, "you are accepting the responsibility of training them in the practice of the faith." That word practice is crucial; it calls for Christian modeling on the part of parents.
Baptisms - Please call the parish office at 706-745-6400 to request Baptism for your child.
- 1. Parent(s) requesting the baptism of an infant child at
St. Francis of Assisi Parish are expected to be registered
- as parishioners of St. Francis of Assisi.
2. Parent(s) must attend a baptism preparation class.
3. Parent (s) must provide a copy of the birth certificate of
the child for parish records.
- Requirements for the sponsor(s) or Godparent(s)
1. Each child to be baptized must have at least one sponsor, and not more than two.
2. In the case of two sponsors, there should be one man and one woman. If they are married, they must be
validly married in the eyes of the Church (in a marriage presided over by a priest, or blessed by a priest.)
3. At least one of the child’s sponsors must:
a. be fully initiated in the Catholic faith, having themselves received the Sacrament of Confirmation, and
b. be active in their local parish (must sign Godparent Statement form) and
c. be 16 years of age or older